Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Mountains Of Books Bookfair 2014 - A Great Morning

Early on a cold and wet Saturday morning last weekend my wife and I drove to the Dandenongs.  Our destination was the Mountains Of Books Bookfair in Ferny Creek.   The rain kept falling sporadically for the entire 40 minute journey and as we got close we noticed how low the clouds were over the mountains.  My wife snapped this picture.
We managed to follow the clearly marked roads to the Recreational Hall where we quickly parked and ran through the light drizzle to the door.
Almost immediately we entered the hall we met one of the bookfair organisers, Meryll, owner of Rainy Day Books in The Basin.  She recognised me and I introduced my wife.   We discussed how the book fair was going considering it was only the first hour.  She also let me know some book stall holders had deliberately brought along some Bond books.  Here's a photo of Meryll in front of her own book stall.
And here's some other photos of other book stalls in the hall and the Bond books I managed to find...
Finding this box of goodies was certainly the greatest surprise of the morning. I purchased three of these. 
 
 
 
 
There was also a food area selling hot food and cakes.  I purchased a massive vanilla slice which tasted great.
After checking every stall in case I'd missed any Bonds we left and drove 10 minutes to Olinda where we had an early lunch at Pie In The Sky.  I definitely recommend the award winning pies here.
And the Bond items I purchased.  A first edition of "Thunderball", a later copy of "From Russia With Love" and a first edition of "James Bond and Moonraker".  A successful morning if I say so and a great bookfair.
I also couldn't help purchasing a die cast model of the DBS from "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" from one of the stalls...
... which when seen in close-up almost looks like a scene from the film (if you squint enough).  Perhaps it would look more realistic if I wasn't using a phone camera !
 

No comments: