Thursday, July 09, 2026

Adelaide Getaway - Part 4 (Thursday)

This is the fourth and final post from our recent trip to Adelaide.  As you can see from this post, as well as the previous three, Adelaide's book culture is alive and thriving.

15) Orchard Bookshop, Adelaide

Located inside the lovely Adelaide Arcade, this small secondhand book store contains a "hand picked collection of new, vintage and collectable literature".

Orchard Bookshop is a great little book store.  It's eclectic mix of titles would no doubt be an ideal pit-stop for City workers considering a more interesting lunch break or perhaps tram/bus ride home.

On the day I visited, Nick was behind the front counter, and after an introduction we discussed Ian Fleming paperbacks while I purchased the Pan Books "From Russia With Love" shown below.

On our next visit to South Australia I'll definitely be returning here.  Here's their website.






Below is the copy of "From Russia With Love" I purchased.  And for other concerned collectors out there wondering... the sticker on the front cover came off very easily and without any damage.



16) Central Market Books, Adelaide

I was a little concerned upon entering Adelaide Central Market to see an empty spot where this book stall used to stand.  However my concerns were quickly quashed when I discovered the shelves of books were now found along one of the aisles.

Barry's book stall is bigger, and crowded with great books at excellent prices.  There were no Bond books for me today, but plenty of other people were scouring the shelves and unearthing gems while I was there.









17) Booknook & Bean, Adelaide

Sadly I only found this secondhand book store after it had closed for the day.  Here's some photos through the glass front.  I didn't want to look too closely at what books were on the shelves in case there was a Bond book I'd like to purchase as my wife and I were leaving early the next day.




My wife and I did intend to visit the Lions Club Of Glenside Book Mart in Tusmore but ran out of time.  However 16 book stores in 4 days was still pretty impressive.  Now for the 8 hour drive back to Melbourne, although we decided to break up the trip with a stopover in Ballarat, but that's another post...


A couple of photos while on the road home...




No comments:

Post a Comment